The Road Book.
The Road Book 2021 recounts in full the second successive season that the world of cycling was rocked by the destructive nature of COVID-19. Through hardship to the stars, this year’s edition shines a light on the riders, races and fans of the sport who through endurance have created some of the most pulsating and emotional moment of racing history.
Ned Boulting, Editor:
“2021 wasn’t really supposed to be like this. Even though the populations of the world were warned repeatedly and severally by those who have studied the consequences and effects of pandemics that we would be living with the aftershocks of COVID-19 for years to come, the unsilencable optimist within us all refused to embrace the reality of their prognosis. The trauma of 2020 could not possibly be repeated, or so we believed.”
"THE ESSAYS ARE AMONG THE BEST IN THE WORLD OF CYCLING REPORTAGE"
4 years ago, a team of dedicated enthusiasts took over the gargantuan task of delivering an annual publication, 7 days after the final race of any given season. The result is the only comprehensive review of the cycling season. Beautifully put together with care and flare.
Cumulatively to date, we have delivered nearly 3000 pages of in-depth race reports, exclusive essays, team profiles, infographics and much more that have honoured the season past. This deep dive into the cycling calendar and its history is truly the love letter that the sport has long deserved and craved for.
Race reports • Infographics & statistics The finest cycling writers
2021 Edition ESSAYS INCLUDE:
Jasper Stuyven, Sarah Storey, Lizzie Deignan, Tadej Pogačar
-Exclusive Winners’ Words from inside the peloton, documenting first accounts of the best victories in the 2021 calendar and detailed in unrivalled intimacy.
-“The End is Where We Start From”. Details the extraordinary events of Mark Cavendish’s fairy-tale 2021. From possible retirement to equalling Eddy Merckx’s all time Tour de France stage wins.
-“A Standing Start”. A fascinating dive into how activism broke her, rebuilt her and became her cornerstone as she lobbied for equality in Women’s racing and the creation of La Course.
-“Completing the Set”. Recounts in intimate detail his stage by stage recollection of the 2021 Giro d’Italia and reflects on the incredibly achievement of completing his collection of Grand Tour stage victories.
-“Continental Drift – Africa’s Greatest Race”. Born out of genocide in the 1990s, Kamasa delves into the meaning behind Africa’s biggest cycling race and the increasing power of cycling within the nation.
-“In the Cross Fire”. Reflects on how he first entered the world of Cyclocross, managing expectations in pro cycling and ambitions to become World Champion.
-“A Pilgrim’s Progress”. Provides a lens into psychology of Primož Roglič as he recovered from disappointment at the Tour de France to triumph in Tokyo and La Vuelta.
CECILIE UTTRUP LUDWIG
-“Shaking My Confidence”. Details her long awaited and difficult journey to her first WorldTour victory in the Vuelta de Burgos.
TOMAS VAN DEN SPIEGEL
-“The Racemaker”. Dissects the importance of cycling to Flanders and the growing importance of the Ronde van Drenthe to the region and the cycling calendar.
- Winners Words from Anna van der Breggen, Tao Geoghegan Hart and Wout van Aert.
- Max Leonard- “War, Illness and Not-Racing”- Recounts the history of cycling and draws comparisons to WWI and WWII to help understand the year of 2020
- Nic Dlamini- “Capricorn Star”- Details the astonishing violent assault he experienced in his native South Africa at the hands of a park ranger.
- Richard Williams- “Children of the Summer’s Ends”- explores just how the Tour de France did go ahead, against the backdrop of a country preparing for a second lockdown
- Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio- “Racing Between Realities”- How COVID pandemic allowed the world of cycling to see what the virtual world had to offer
- Lukas Knofler- “Return Racing in Romania”- dissects Romania’s Sibiu Cycling Tour, the first category 1 race after the reopening of the cycling calendar
- Laura Wieslo- “Riding through the Void”- describes how COVID 19 forged a stronger than ever connection between pro cyclists and bicycle riders around the world
- William Fotheringham: Chasing Shadows: Remco and Eddy
- Bert Wagendorp- “The World’s Only Racer”- delves into the violent history of Puerto Montt, the race start of the Gran Premio de la Patagonia 2020 edition
- Rob Hatch- A distanced TV commentator’s perspective on calling home the most unusual edition of the Giro for generations.
- Rose Manley- A close study of Annemiek van Vleuten’s astonishing career, which in 2020 took another series of unexpected twists.